English Conditionals

Conditional tenses are used to speculate about what could happen. The sentences contain the word "if" (clause).



  

 First structure                                    

If + present simple , will + infinitive

We use this structure if we talk about possible situations

  • I"ll have dinner with my husband if he doesn't come home too late
  • If it's a nice day tomorrow I will go bicycling

   Second structure                              

If + past simple , would + infinitive

We use this structure if we talk about impossible things

  • If I won the lottery, I'd buy a big house on the beach 
  • Where would you live if you could live anywhere?
  • If you didn't smoke so much, you would not have health complaints

Remember !

The main clause can also be at the beginning of the sentence but don't use a comma.

No comments: